Thursday, March 3, 2011

MOTIVATION

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/3200 sec.
  Different things motivate different people.
  As most of you know by now, my son Shea has been going through basic training at Parris Island, SC for what is now 13 weeks. Friday morning he graduates from basic training and moves on as a Marine. Talk about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
  If finishing basic isn't enough, today was Family Day at Parris Island and from 10:00-2:30 they were released on Liberty and spent the day with their families. After 3 months of being in an absolutely beautiful spot of the country being treated as ugly as you can be, seeing ones family had to be a huge lift to their spirits.
  The morning started with the Motivational Run.  This was tremendous! All of the new Marines gathered at the base's Parade Deck. They then all set out on a 4 mile run through the campus yelling cadences to the cheers of their families and friends. When you get 400-500 Marines yelling and moving in unison, it is an awesome sight.
  The run left the Parade Deck and continued in and around the campus, finishing with a lap right down the main road were we could get right down next to them.  That is were today's image was taken. Shea is the sun drenched young man right next to the Staff Sargent in yellow.  I caught them in mid-cadence as they were running.
  I don't think there could be any more prouder a moment for a parent even though I will probably change my mind after graduation tomorrow morning.
  Thanks to my friend, Bob Whitehair, I had a 100-400mm Canon L Series lens that allowed me to zoom up on Shea in every formation on the Parade Deck. It was incredible to be able to use this lens and capture those moments.  I will have some further posts that I took witht he L lens later on.

2 comments:

  1. I got goosebumps reading your blog and seeing your son tonight Jerry, that is so totally awesome! I love it! Hope to see some more from all the activities and events! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Toad. I absolutely cried when they took off on their run. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete