Wednesday, August 17, 2011

BIG JUNCTION OVERLOOK

Canon EOS REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @ 28mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/50 sec.
  Last October I got up early one morning with the intention of photographing the early morning fog on the Cherohala Skyway. My destination was Big Junction Overlook. This overlook is on the North Carolina side of the Skyway and is measured at 5235ft above sea level.
  I was trying for long exposures to try and get a almost water-like effect of the fast moving fog. I arrived well before light and spent a lot of time waiting for the sun to rise. Saw a couple of shooting stars as well. When I finally got some light, there was plenty of fog to the southwest and I spent a long time shooting down in the valley in that direction.
  My battery was getting low so I decided to pack it in with the thought I would not get the particular effect I wanted. I started back toward my car when I noticed one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. I happened to look back to the northwest and the fog was literally crawling over the mountains like it was being poured over them. I immediately pulled everything back out and started snapping pictures from the opposite side of the road.

Shot from my car across the road of the fog crawling across the mountains
  I wasn't very happy with my vantage point so I got in the car and started driving with the hope I would find a better spot.  Unfortunately, I could not until I returned to Big Junction and walked down about and eighth of a mile back down the road and the valley opened up to me. By that time, however, the sun was peaking and a long exposure was impossible.
  I did get the first shot above that shows the water-like fog covering the mountains in the background to the left and still crawling through the valley in front of me. It's funny, had I been looking in the opposite direction of where I was shooting when I got there I would have gotten the image I wanted. Well there is always this fall.

3 comments:

  1. Breathtaking, Jerry! Wow, what a truly astonishing pair of images here. They both feel rather mysterious, I just love how natural magic like this happens so very quickly... almost the click of a shutter, really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it's a shame you didn't get what you wanted, this is still some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete