Wednesday, January 11, 2012

BABY FALLS BACK EDDY

Canon EOS Rebel XS, Promaster 19-35 lens @ 19mm, ISO 400, f/20, 10 sec., ND Fader Filter, 3 shot panorama
  Sunday was not the most ideal day to be out shooting photographs. It was overcast, rainy, and wet all day long. I spent as much time wiping the water droplets off my camera as I did taking pictures.
  The rain did slow down long enough for me to stop by Baby Falls and take some long exposures. I knew from when I first bought my camera and started shooting that the curved rocky outcropping just to the right of where the falls pour down creates a very large back eddy. With the overcast skies and using my ND fader filter, I could capture that Eddy in the middle of the day.
  The only problem I have with photographing Baby Falls is that there is really only one vantage point to shoot it from. The water is too deep and powerful in front of it to wade out in so the alternative is to climb down next to the road side and choose many of the rocky ledges that overlook the falls.
  I perched myself right above the large pool where the back eddy forms with the hope of elongating it with a portrait orientation and using it to lead into the frame. Unfortunately, my location was still too high above it for that effect to take place. I also couldn't fit all that I wanted to into the frame so I elected to take 3 panoramic frames so the rocks at the bottom of the shot surround and the Eddy.
  Something that I notice every time I come here and am absolutely amazed by at Baby Falls is how loud the roar of the water is. Baby Falls is only 10-15 feet tall but the amount of water that pours over it is tremendous and it creates a deafening roar. Just another wonderful spot along River Rd in the Cherokee National Forest that I love visiting at any time of year.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent image!

    I have been searching for a spot of swirling water in my hikes around here and have come up empty so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I also really appreciate reading the description of how you made this photo.

    ReplyDelete