Sunday, July 22, 2012

THINKING ABSTRACTLY

ISO 200, f/8, 1/4 Second, 35mm
  For the first time in a long time I spent a morning doing photography in the Cherokee National Forest instead of the Great Smoky Mountains. It was a welcome change of location. Not that I have gotten tired of the Smokies, I just welcomed the familiarity of the Cherohala Skyway, River Rd., and the Tellico River.
  Something that I almost always forget to do when I'm out shooting is thinking in the abstract or out of the ordinary. I usually get so caught up with capturing the big picture that I neglect to look for subtle details, mirrored compositions, funky shapes, etc., that are very cool, I just don't look for them that often.
  This morning was the exception. In today's post the rocks at the top of the frame are actually closer than that of the opposing hillside. By zooming in and putting the reflection of the hillside in the bottom part of the frame, I abstractly flipped the composition and used the hillside as the foreground.
  I really like these type of images. I am going to have to remember to look for them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment